- Skechers USA Men's Expected Gomel Slip-on LoaferTaupe11 M US
- 78NP9282016 LFTBTT50 Women's Shoes Size 7 M Black Leather Boots Johnston Murphy
- Man/Woman Sperry Top-Sider Cedar Womens Black Boots Packaging diversity King of quantity Highly appreciated and widely trusted in and out
- hot Womens Tassel Hidden Wedge High Heels Mid Calf Boots Faux Suede Casual boot
- NEW! Vince Camuto VC-HADRIEN Womens Hadrien Ankle Bootie, Rustic Size 9.5
- LAUREN RALPH LAUREN Cabrey Dark Brown Leather Ankle Boot Bootie Sze 9.5 NIB $120
- Rivet Personality Mens Bee Metal Velvet Loafers Slip on Dress Shoes Clubwear Bar
- New $575 SUTOR MANTELLASSI Yellow Calf Suede Driving Moccasins US 6 D Shoes
- AUTHENTIC LUXURY PRADA SLIPPER SHOES 2DG013 BLACK NEW US 8
- TEVA MENS SANDALS HOLLIWAY TURKISH COFFEE SIZE 13
- Women's Real Fur Slip On Moccasins Driving SHoes Slip On Loafers Indoor Flats
- New Balance Mens M575ln2 Navy/White Running Shoes Size 11 (365937)
- NEW Mens Athletic Sports Sneakers Outdoor Running Jogging Navy Shoes 1704 e_N
- Cowboy Boots Men's Black With Blue Western Designs Size:See Notes
- Stetson Mens Vintage Grey Cowboy, Western Boots Size 9.5 (496)
- Cabela's Mens Steel Shank Thinsulate Brown 16" Pull On Boots 82-1207, Size 11
- Sperry Top Sider Men's Band of outsiders Brown/Tan hightop boot 13M
- High Top Men's Ankle Boots Shoes Pointed Toe Genuine Leather Zip Embroidery
- Dr Doc Martens Air Wair (Vintage) Model 8060 USM 7/ USL8
- Dockers Men's Lakeport Oxford Dark Tan 12 W US
- Christian Louboutin Pigalle Follies Black Leather 39 Pumps Size US 8.5
- Valentino Copper Rockstud Leather Sandals Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- New Men Adidas Originals Dragon Shoes Mars Red Nude Retro Trainers G63396
- Adidas Pro Smooth Feather Men’s Size 10.5 White/Black Basketball Shoes X14-288*
- Frye Carson Collapsible Ballet Flats Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike NSW Tiempo '94 Mid QS Green Abyss / Gold Mens Size 10 DS NEW!! 641147-378
- NIKE ROSHE ONE SE 844687 001 BLACK/BLACK-VOLT DEADSTOCK BRAND NEW
- Nike Air Max Plus TN Tuned 1 Men's (Size 10.5) Grey White Platinum 852630-029
- Nike Air Max 1 Print Aloha Pack Womens 528898-602 Red Sail Yellow Shoes Size 9
- Mens Womens Winter Snow Ankle Boots Warm Hot Waterproof Fur Lining Shoes 36-48
- Europe Womens Pointed Toe High Block Heels Tassel Rivet Punk Over Knee Boots
- NIKE AIR FOAMPOSITE ONE TOTAL CRIMSON ORANGE-BLUE SZ 6.5 YOUTH "KNICKS"
- NIB Sz 8 Nike Black Huaraches
- LL Bean Womens Sz 10 Sherpa Lined Winter Snow Boots Duck Boots
- Sam Edelman Women's Rodney Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/color
- Nine West Women's Darren Suede Mid-Calf Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Women's DANSKO Mary Jane Blue Leather Clogs Shoes Size US 7.5 - 8 M
- Womens Leather Pointed Toe Loafers Wedding Shoes Flat Sequins Pearls Rivets R015
- Pleaser Oxford Creeper Stud & Star Details Women Flats Blk Vegan Leather-Suede
- 8.5 2E XW ORTHOFEET CHELSEA BROWN SLIP ON LOAFER ADJ.STRAP WOMENS SHOES
- NEW in box GIORGIO ARMANI 39.5/9.5 nude patent leather shoes $675 ballet flats
- Brooks Dyad 6 Womens Running Shoe 8D B11
- adidas Performance S81035 Womens Crazytrain Pro W Cross Trainer
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN Pink wheat gum RED FLORAL 6 - 12 sunset white black Beige
- Womens Size 10 Top Crews 24/7 Work It Leather Upper Slip Resistant NIB Black
- Danner Women's Acadia Black Leather Comfort Shoes
- asics Japan asics Tiger GEL-CLASSIC TQ6G1N Light gray X India ink
- US 6-13.5 Men Loafers Driving Moccasins Casual Soft Suede Leather Penny Shoes
- Mens or Women White Leather Sneaker-Double Hook-and-Loop (Men 9, Womens 11)
- Men/Women Rivieras Men's Shoes 577593 Blue 41 Strong heat and wear resistance a good reputation in the world Various
- 838938-010 : Men's Court Borough Mid Basketball Shoe Black/White
- DOUBLE H HH BLACK LEATHER BUCKLE BIKER BOOTS SZ 8 1/2
- VINTAGE JOAN AND DAVID COGNAC BROWN LEATHER RIDING BOOTS 6.5M BRASS DETAILS
- Womens Block Chunky Heels Buckle Ankle Boots Shoes Zip OL Booties Creepers Size
- Calvin Klein Womens Cait Leather Round Toe Mid-Calf, Shadow Grey, Size 8.0 GtqS
- NIB Womens Dingo by Dan Post Boot Company Martine Harnessed Cowboy Boot Sz 8
- DIADORA MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW N902 S GREY 2F1
- ECCO Mens Sneak Trend Fashion Sneaker 10-- Pick SZ/Color.
- Ecco Edinburgh Mens Shoes 45 (US 11-11.5) $150 NIB Free Priority Shipping
- New Style Summer Sandal Elastic Open Toe Men Shoes Casual Beach Hot Sale Comfort
- Free People Solstice Espadrille Mule Size 7 New MSRP: $108
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Superman DC Comics Sneakers Men’s Size 6.5M, 8.5W
- Vans Shoes Low-Tops Blue With Speckles Size 10
- Vintage Linesman Black Leather Punk Grunge Punk Goth Work Boots Men's Size 9.5 M
- LaCrosse 503300 Timber Master 1200g Waterproof 10" Oil Resist Boots Men's US 12W
- Tony Lama men Exotic Lizard iguana Western CowboyLeather Boots 6183 Size 7.5
- Man's/Woman's Mens Winter Boots Special price Affordable German Outlets
- NEW ROCKY MEN'S ENDEAVOR POINT WP HIKER (RKS0314) GREY / YELLOW 10 MEDIUM $80
- Men’s Double-H Gel Ice Work Western Boots J15232 Size 11 2E Brown Leather
- Stella McCartney Deep Blue Elyse Scarpa Gomma Fuller Platforms Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Versace Black New Leather Triple Platform Studded Sandals Size US 10
- Cole Haan Black Bow Wedges Sandals Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- ANTA Klay Thompson 2018 KT Light 3 Black/ White Men Size 6.5-11
- Nike Alpha Huarache 6 Elite 923423-155 Turf LAX Lacrosse Gold White Sz 10.5
- 2011 Nike Air Max 90 Volt Lava Neon Yellow 325018-048 Size 13
- Nike Flex Contact RunningWomens Style : 908995 Black/White Womens Size 8
- New Nike Jordan Hydro X111 Retro 684915-106 Black Slippers Men
- Geox Boys New Fast Leather Fashion Slip On Loafers With Chain
- Calvin Klein F0875 Mens Ibrahim Brshd Lthr Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- adidas Stan Smith 2 II Grun Black Red Blue Recycled Parley Size 10.5
- Causal Faux Suede Tassel High Heel Platform Zip Ankle Boots Womens Shoes
- NEW MEN'S NIKE AIR FORCE 1 MID '07 315123-412
- Mens Nike Air Footscape Magista Flyknit Shoes Size 11 Navy Blue Grey 816560 001
- Gentleman/Lady Ladies Remonte Heeled Ankle Boots D3574 New market comfortability Current shape
- Harley-Davidson® Women's Huxley Waterproof Motorcycle Black Leather Boots D87142
- CLARKS Women's Comfort Shoes Flats Brown Leather Loafer Slip On Buckle Strap 11
- Naturalizer Womens Shoes Sz 8.5M Gold Wedge Comfort Leather Brylee
- Carlos Santana Wood Clog Heeled sandals size 9
- Man's/Woman's New Jack Rogers Womens Quinn Loafers Excellent craft Used in durability Seasonal promotion
- Prada Coral Patent Leather Ballet Flat Shoe Size 37.5 7.5
- Taryn Rose Rosalyn All Black Sheep Nappa Leather Flower Flat Shoe 6 New
- Nike Juvenate Womens Running Trainers 724979 Sneakers Shoes 008
- Nike Women's Af1 Upstep Si Basketball Shoe
- Nike Air Huarache City Low Womens Atmosphere Grey/Atmosphere Grey/White H6804004
- Dansko Womens Size 7 Euro 37 Burgundy Leather Nursing Professional Work Clogs
- Therafit Women's Samantha Slip-On Shoe Tan Suede Comfort Shoes
- Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Grey mens size 6 US
- Buttero men's leather calfskin ankle boots EU42 NIB Made in Italy
- SKECHERS Dual - Lite Men's Slip-On Sneakers Shoes Size 8.5 Navy
- STICO NEC-02H Women Chef Kitchen Shoes Non-Slip Cook Slipper Indoor Clean Rubber
- Tommy Hilfiger Mens Dathan Driving Style LoaferWide US- Pick SZ/Color.
- ketisa-2 New Ankle Synthetic Buckle Zipper Women's Casual Boots Black 7.5-
- Nine West Women's Trybecca Black Knee-High Boot NW/OB
- CIRCUS SAM EDELMAN GEMMA distressed tan biker leather Short Moto Ankle Boots 9.5
- Clarks Avington Swan Slouch Suede Ankle Boots, Women's Size 11W, Black
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Adidas NMD Runner R1 W Sun Glow Pink Peach Coral Glitch BY3034 Boost Womens 8.5Nike Air Max 95 Women's Shoes in Pure Platinum/Violet In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NEW Vans Slip On Rainbow Chex Skate Shoe Multi Checker Womens CheckerboardNewest Release!!! Brooks Ariel 16 Womens Running Shoe (D) (059)The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Helle Comfort Women's Vera Mid Heel Bootie, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.ADIDAS WOMENS ULTRABOOST PARLEY AC8205 LEGEND INK-CARBON-BLUENike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Black White Gunsmoke Grey 942855-001 Womens sz 6-10 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Puma Creeper Velvet 364466-03 Gray Women Size US 9.5 NEW 100% AuthenticNew Vivobarefoot PRIMUS TRAIL FG Mens Mesh Cordovan Minimalist Sneaker Trainerbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.New Camilla Skovgaard Two Tone Shield Zipper Leather Hi-Top Sneakers sz EU38Adidas EQT Basket ADV Womens AC7351 Grey Coral Knit Athletic Shoes Size 8
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.MIZUNO Shoes WAVE RAIJIN Sneakers SPECIAL EDITION Pink US 11.5 $185 NewWOMENS ADIDAS ADIZERO BOSTON BOOST 5 TSF LADIES RUNNING/SNEAKERS/RUNNERS SHOES
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Men's/Women's Brooks Women's Adrenaline GTS 18 Black/Black/Pink Complete specification range a wide range of products Acknowledgement feedback maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”WOMENS SALOMON SONIC PRO 2 LADIES RUNNING/SNEAKERS/TRAINING/RUNNERS SHOES
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:2 PAIRS HOKA RUNNING SHOES CAVU MACH LADIES 9.5 BLUE FAST ONE MARATHON SNEAKERS1805 adidas SUPERSTAR 80S NEW BOLD Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes CQ2365
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,VERSACE JEANS E0VQBSB1 LINEA STELLA WOMEN BLUE SUEDE SNEAKERSReebok Freestyle 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Patriotic light blue suede accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?**NEW** Asics Gel Kayano 25 Womens Running Shoes (D) (100)Nike SF Air Force 1 Women's Dusty Peach/Dusty Peach/Particle Pink 57872202 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.1806 adidas ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR 80S CF Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes CQ2447UMBRO Special Edition BUMPY PRISM U8323CCR60 Unisex Sneakers Athletic Shoes
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”1801 adidas Originals EQT Basketball ADV Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes AC7354 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, BT96 MBT shoes black nabuk women sneakers24 PAIRS WHOLESALE WOMENS WASABI CANVAS SHOES SNEAKERS SIZES 5-10 S324Larguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. AC525 MBT shoes brown textile women sneakersAC494 MBT shoes green textile women sneakersLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”BZ914 MBT shoes black leather women sneakersAC553 MBT shoes black suede women sneakers
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, 1711 adidas Originals EQT ADV Racing Women's Training Running Shoes BY9798Nike Zoom All Out Low 2 Women's Ocean Bliss/Ocean Bliss/Black 0036401to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (24 PAIRS WHOLESALE WOMENS APRICOT BLEACH CANVAS SHOES SNEAKERS SIZES 6-10 S324L)
… as well as the following posts:NIKE Womens Hyperdunk 2017 Tb 897813-401 GAME ROYAL Size 10.5NIKE WOMEN ZOOM ALL OUT LOW 2 BLACK US5.5-8.5 03'
– Keen Women's Terradora Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot Gargoyle/Magnet, by Dr. Nir Buras